Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 12, 2015

Well Stevie?

Letter to the Editor, Toronto Star:

I felt pretty safe and financially secure during the Jean Chretien and Paul Martin years, but Stephen Harper rode to power on a law and order horse, promising me I’d be even safer under his rule – and he would fix our economy, too.

Nine years later, he’s still telling me I need to vote for him so he can make me safer – and he’s still maintaining he’s the best manager for our economy.
...
Yet, now more than ever, he works hard to terrify me. And, while the U.S. markets roar in to record territory, our own TSX has yet to return to levels it reached seven years ago.

Therefore, would it not be fair play in the coming election to ask two questions of the incumbent:

1) If you’ve dedicated nine year to making me more safe, why do you want me to feel less safe today than I did nine years ago?

2) Since you inherited a surplus budget, yet gave us seven years of deficits while adding $170 billion to the national debt, why should I believe that you are a good manager of our economy?

Jim Lang, Thornbury


Letter to the Editor, Toronto Star:

 The existential divide among Canadian voters, March 7

Life in Canada has been good to me as I approach my 60th birthday. A loving and carefree childhood in scenic, small town Ontario, a good education that led to a steady, decent paying job and a happy, healthy family I am forever grateful for, are some of the realities responsible for my contentment.
...
Yet, the one ingredient in my life that has been a constant source of pride and delight is that I am Canadian, living in what I consider to be the greatest country in the world. That was until Stephen Harper came along to obliterate that notion.

Paying a little less in taxes every year as we watch our beloved country slide deeper into a Harper-greased pit of Conservative-style totalitarianism is simply not acceptable.

If you have even a trace of the same sadness in your heart and fear in the pit of your stomach for Canada that I do, this coming election will be the most important you will ever vote in.

Philip Junop, Newmarket


Letter to the Editor, Toronto Star:

With this latest move, Stephen Harper is deemed by the media as having “right-wing American-style” politics. Is this a surprise? When he was in opposition, as a Reform Party leader, Harper went on record as wanting to destroy all vestiges of liberalism in Canada. As Prime Minister he has not-so-secretly set about doing exactly that.

After 10 years of a Harper dictatorship, the Canada that I knew in my youth is just about gone in almost every manner of speaking. What’s left (no pun intended)? I imagine that if this letter is printed with my name on it, I will be on Harper’s “enemies list” if I am not already there, simply for speaking my mind.

This is Tea Party politics and he’s been engaging in it long before the Tea Party was established. We should be on guard. We are losing the Canada that we loved.

Stephen L. Bloom, Toronto

 

No comments:

Post a Comment